- Energy Audits
- Heating, Ventilation & Cooling
- Air Sealing
- Water Heaters
- Solar Thermal
- Contractors and Architects
- Rebates & Financing
- Building Science
Spray Foam Insulation
Polyurethane spray foam falls into two categories: "open-cell" or "closed-cell". There are pros and cons of both. AHE can determine which spray foam type would be best depending on the application.
Spray foam tends to be more expensive than other spray insulation products. It does have the advantage of being a rated vapor barrier and is commonly an efficient solution for vaulted ceilings and areas where insulation with high R-value is needed. Another common application is as attic foam.
Spray foam is composed almost entirely from petroleum so we do not consider it as a “green product” like the cellulose and denim insulation we use. Bio-based spray foam insulation has been introduced as a “green” spray insulation but the actual bio-content is typically less than 10% with the remaining 90% petroleum. However, foam manufacturers claim that the embodied energy and petroleum it takes to produce is quickly made-up with the energy savings when used in the home.
Side by side comparison of Spray Foam Features:
|Open Cell Spray Foam||Closed Cell Spray Foam|